Latest Dribbble Shot

Follow us on Dribbble »

Latest Instagram Photo

Follow us on Instagram »

Latest Tweet

The Black Keys Poster

June 27th, 2011 // Posted by Dan in Blog, DKNG Work, Poster, Process, The Black Keys, Video

↳ Click on the image above for a high res version

During this year’s Flatstock at Austin’s SXSW a guy walked into our booth and asked if we would be interested in doing a poster for his band. It’s a pretty common question, but what came out of it was a pretty amazing opportunity for us. When I asked more, he explained that he manages The Black Keys. At that moment I was doing my best to stay as professional possible, but on the inside I felt like a little kid. We’re HUGE fans of The Black Keys to say the least and were thrilled with the prospect of creating a poster for them.

The poster we created is a three color screen print and has a limited edition of 275. It’s available for purchase in our store.

Below is a little video going over our process from design to printing, which is followed by close up shots of the print.

THE VIDEO

CLOSE UP SHOTS

21 Responses to “The Black Keys Poster”

Nick says:

It’s funny you mention that story because I actually remember seeing you talking to him, and how excited you were afterwards.

June 28th, 2011 at 6:52 am

Dan says:

Haha! Small world man.

June 28th, 2011 at 9:53 am

Niko says:

This is great, love TBK and love your posters, what more can i ask.
After I finish typing this I’ll go grab one. I got Phish poster and that was really super fast shipment, thanks.
Greetings from Croatia

June 28th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Szabolcs Sz says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Great job. The slingshot is my personal fav… :)

June 28th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Molly Tuttle says:

After I pull my jaw up off the floor, I will try and find words to describe how awesome that video is. You are THE best of the best.

June 30th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Jeff says:

Congratulations you guys! I love to see you guys getting some big publicity on this one……very well deserved. As always, Kim and I are very happy for you and grateful for getting to play a small part in your journey.

June 30th, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Dan says:

Thanks Jeff. Looking forward to Mexico!

June 30th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Nathan says:

AH! Why is this a limited print! This is such a fantastic poster you should really make more!

July 18th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Dan Corcoran says:

absolutely beautiful work guys. DKNG always blows up the spot.

August 4th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Ana says:

Adorei!!!
vocês são muito bons no que estão fazendo.
parabéns.

BRASIL

September 24th, 2011 at 10:13 am

Ihsan KL says:

what a great process! love the details! :D

October 3rd, 2011 at 12:06 am

Brandon says:

Question:
When you are creating bitmaps, do you normally use PS or AI to create them and is there a standard setting that you output it as?

October 28th, 2011 at 11:07 am

Dan says:

We create bitmaps in PS, but the art begins in AI. our normal settings are round halftone dots, 53 lines/inch and start with an angle of 22.5 and add 30° for each layer to avoid Moiré patterns.

October 28th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Mira says:

I hope you don’t mind answering two burning questions :)
1. What do you do with gradients in Illustrator? I noticed you had some on the cases in the beginning and then they got halftoned I don’t know where… DO you pull them individually into photoshop and bitmap them?
2. Do you output your final separations in AI or PS?
Thanks!

January 6th, 2012 at 2:57 am

Dan says:

Mira,

1. Yes, exactly.

2. We still have all the elements in illustrator and just select which one’s should be white or black to create the seps.

January 6th, 2012 at 10:19 am

vasculitis symptoms says:

Hey would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using? I’m planning to start my
own blog soon but I’m having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I
had to ask!

January 18th, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Dan says:

We are using WordPress with a custom theme we designed.

January 22nd, 2013 at 9:41 am

Olya Gi says:

I can’t help myself, I love your work! :D
I love The Black Keys, and this poster is a gorgeous piece of art.
Greets from Russia

February 16th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

mobile games says:

It’s amazing designed for me to have a website, which is valuable in favor of my know-how.
thanks admin

April 27th, 2014 at 12:37 am

clash of clans hack android download says:

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your website,
how could i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account helped me
a appropriate deal. I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny clear concept

June 16th, 2014 at 7:50 am

angry birds friends hack iphone says:

Draw something free is a massive update and over, trying different solutions, you are on your mobile gaming apps,
which promoted the game lovers. While gaming in general whether, computer, console
or disc to carryaround with them. These objectives are angry birds friends hack quite familiar with
the latest technicalities. Same as music ringtones
spread like wildfire, through Europe, state that 77% of
Spanish subscribes play games anywhere and anytime.
Anyone can signal-up for a mobile phone. Regardless of where you should anticipate of outsourcing companies who action appoint an iPad Game And App Goldmine”.

July 15th, 2014 at 10:55 am